12 December, 2009

How to lose 20 pounds in just 30 waves!

I challenge anyone to get fat while surfing. It's impossible. First, the boards don't have any cup holders for your 48oz slurpee, Mr. Tubbs. Second, just because “fat floats”, doesn't mean you'll be able to stand on the board any better. Third, every muscles in your body is used when surfing, especially the “thumbs up” muscles. I personally increased my “thumbs up” reps by six today. Oh, vocal chords get a workout too. Wooooooooooooooooooo!
Have you ever had surprise exercise? You're minding your own business when a bear wanders into the office, and bam! You're exercising your way down the stairs, across the street, and into a more realistic analogy? That's exactly what happened today. I had met a surf instructor last week while walking along the beach and got some information about the classes. Since, he's there everyday, I figured I would eventually walk by and set up a time to start. Today seemed fitting, Pat was sitting by the pool reading and we had no other agenda. I was sore from running on the beach yesterday, but I wanted to walk around for a bit.
I set a good pace down the main road, next to the beach, and in thirty five minutes I made it to the surf spot. The waves looked small and the sky was overcast, I thought, not typical surfing weather. I saw Juan and waved at him. He recognized me and invited me to start surfing. I logically explained that I had no bathing suit or water or energy. Plus, the waves looked too small. Yet, with matching eloquence and persuasion he said, “we have a wet suit, come on.” Curse his superior reasoning skills! I slipped the suit over my boxers and hit the water.
I've only surfed once before. I took a three day course in the Canary Islands a few years ago and learned the basics. From the first wave though, it all came back. I caught nearly each wave. Over and over. My Hawaiian roots must have helped too - although, I only learned to dance the hula. We did exercises of standing up and laying down, how to read a wave, how to turn and paddle, and how to whip my long blond hair around my face... well, that comes at the advanced stage.
This was the most exercise I've gotten in months. Every time I caught a wave, I had to paddle back through eight more. The lift off requires you to thrust your body up, and then stay squatted to keep balance. I even threw in some Tai-bo while wiping out. Over and over, I swam in and out. The instructor, Matias, kept pushing me into waves, “Go Kevin!” “I can't help but go when you keep pushing me!” They never teach useful phrases in Spanish class; for instance, exploding lungs.
There was only one other student, a girl a little younger than me from New York. She didn't seem like a typical new yorker when I talked to her. But she did drive like one. Or steer. Or whatever surfer lingo describes heading straight towards someones face with a solid edge of hard plastic, causing them to leap out of the way, matrix-style, with just a few centimeters to spare (I'm getting used the metric system.)
The lesson lasted an hour and a half, just enough time to remind me what muscles I haven't used in awhile. It was exhausting, exhilarating, and excelente. Tomorrow will be different story, when I wont be able to move, but that will give me more time to think about returning to the cool blue water once my legs function.

No comments:

Post a Comment